Get into…Kahuna overview
‘Two Kahuna – ancient sorcerers of the Pacific – compete for dominance on an archipelago consisting of twelve small islands. Using their magic and wisdom, they struggle for control of the islands. They anxiously await the cards handed to them by fate. But when the time is right, they move to capture one, two or even more islands, trying to gain the upper hand. At the mercy of the magical powers of the South Seas, they quickly realize that even the best magic is no good without strategy.’
Get into…Kahuna gameplay
- The game is played over 3 rounds
- When scoring takes place, you receive points, if you have claimed more islands with Kahuna tokens than your opponent
- On your turn, you play any number of cards. It is possible to abstain from playing a card but regardless of whether you do this or not, you then draw a card
- Hand card limit is 5
- If you play an island card, you place a Kahuna bridge on a free connecting line that starts from the island indicated on the card and leads to any neighbouring island
- If you have placed your own Kahuna bridges on more than half of an islands connecting lines, you have gained control over it.
- If this is the case, remove all your opponent’s Kahuna bridges.
- You can also remove one of your opponent’s Kahuna bridges by playing two suitable island cards at the same time. To do this, you must play two cards that show one of the two islands connected by the opponent’s bridge. The two cards can show the same island or both islands.
- If you can play a third suitable island card then you can place one of your own Kahuna bridges on the connecting line where you just removed your opponent’s Kahuna bridge
- Then draw a card from the face up cards or the top card from the face down cards. You can abstain from drawing a card, unless your opponent abstained the turn before.
- There are two interim scoring points. Once the draw pile has been depleted for the third time then the final scoring takes place
Get into…Kahuna details
Ages: 10 and up
Play time: 30 minutes
3 words to describe this game: island, hopping, puzzle
Get into…Kahuna components
1 game board
24 island cards
20 Kahuna tokens
50 Kahuna bridges
1 rule booklet
Very simple production but another puzzle game for 2 players. Wooden pieces for the tokens and bridges.
Get into…Kahuna overall thoughts
This a nice little puzzle game for 2 players from Kosmos. In my personal opinion, there is too much ‘take that’ in this game for it to be a personal favourite but I can see the appeal. Its a short strategy puzzle where you have to way up how best to use your cards and the optimum time to seize control so you can optimise scoring.
Get into…Kahuna thanks
Thankyou Kosmos for sending me this for review. We love to have a range of 2 player games that we can draw upon to play and I think this might be one we teach to others.